ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
About the Book
Read an Excerpt
About the Book
Bryn Seymour was 9-years-old when her mother died under mysterious circumstances on the same day Apollo 11 made its historic lunar landing. Forty years later --- divorced, working as an obituary writer, and duly cynical --- she meets Howard, a conspiracy theorist who knew her mom and believes a small Texas town may hold clues to what really fueled her demise. Seeking closure, Bryn goes along for this men-in-black ride. But upon meeting Howard’s son Sam, an outspoken Christian, she can’t decide whose beliefs are more pie-in-the-sky.The gravity of life has pulled Bryn down for decades. But a perfect love could be her first step to soaring. It only happens once in a blue moon.
Back to top.
1. In ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, Bryn witnesses the Marfa lights, which defy explanation. Have you experienced something bizarre that cannot be explained easily? What was it and how did you react?
2. Could these kinds of events be called miracles? Do you believe miracles happen today? Why or why not?
3. What was a once-in-a-blue-moon event in your life? What impact did it have on you?
4. Do you believe there’s life on other planets? Or do you think we are alone in this universe?
5. Some say there can’t be life “out there,” because the Earth is the world God created for fellowship. What is your reaction to that ideology?
6. What impact would it have on your faith and understanding of the Scriptures if there really is life “out there”?
7. Do you believe conspiracies exist, that things aren’t necessarily what they appear to be? If so, what would happen if the truth were revealed?
8. If you don’t believe in conspiracies, what explanations could you give to convince someone of the truth? Or would you even try?
9. In light of the previous questions, what does this verse say to you: “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3
10. Would you describe yourself as skeptical, gullible, or cynical? How does your faith come into play in your tendency to be whichever of those you chose?
11. Often it is a balancing act between discernment and believing beyond what we can know and see. How did the characters in Once in a Blue Moon walk that tight rope? How do you handle it in your own life?
12. Hebrews 11:1 says: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. How did Bryn learn to handle faith in Once in a Blue Moon? How do you handle faith in your own personal life?
13. When was a time in your life when, as happened with Bryn, you felt God carrying you through pain and turmoil?
14. What does this verse mean to you --- Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31.
15. Bryn saw God turn her difficulty into triumph. When have you seen that in your own life, or in the life of someone close to you? How did that affect your relationship with God? With others? What lesson did you learn from that time?
© Copyright 2017 by Leanna Ellis. Reprinted with permission by B&H Books. All rights reserved.
Click here now to buy this book from Amazon.com.