TALK OF THE TOWN
About the Book
Author Talk –– February 2008
Read an Excerpt
About the Book
The show "American Megastar" is the hottest thing on television but its associate producer, Mandalay Florentino, is worried. She's just arrived in the tiny town of Daily, Texas, to arrange a surprise "reunion concert" for hometown finalist Amber Amberson. Only it turns out everyone in town seems to know the secret. And paparazzi are arriving. Word from Hollywood is that Amber has disappeared with a "bad boy" actor. Can anything go right in this tumbleweed town?
Imagene Doll loves her town of Daily, Texas, but things are lonely without her beloved husband. Life seems dull. At least until that fancy-dressed woman pulls into town, looking terrified and glamorous all at once. Soon life's not the least bit boring as Imagene and the rest of Daily find themselves at the center of a media maelstrom --- with a young girl's future on the line.
Back to top.
1. TALK OF THE TOWN is a "fish out of water" tale. Have you ever been forced into a situation where both people and place seem alien to you? Do you ever end up feeling comfortable, and what changed to make that possible?
2. Why do you think that we, as a nation, are so obsessed with Hollywood? Is small town life more "real" or "authentic" than Hollywood? Have you gotten caught up in the reality TV craze?
3. Have you ever lived in a small town, and if so, what was it like? If not, does the idea of living in a small town like fictional Daily, Texas, appeal to you?
4. Have you experienced members of a community pulling together in an effort to help one of their own?
5. In what ways is Mandalay changed by her weekend in Daily, Texas? How did characters Imagene, Amber, and Carter each affect her differently?
6. In what ways is Imagene changed by her friendship with Mandalay? Have you ever met a new person and felt an instant connection?
7. Imagene takes some risks at the end of the novel. If money and time weren't an obstacle, what risky thing would you attempt?
8. Imagene believes two people can be meant for each other. Do you believe in love at first sight? Have you ever seen it happen?
9. Do you think Amber will end up being compromised and changed by Hollywood?
10. Amber asserts that Justin Shay might feel better about life if he used his vast resources to do something good. Do you believe this? Have you ever found a sense of purpose through an act of service?
11. TALK OF THE TOWN also celebrates friendship. What makes a friendship that lasts over time? Talk about your truest friend and the ways in which that person has supported you.
© Copyright 2017 by Lisa Wingate. Reprinted with permission by Bethany House. All rights reserved.
Click here now to buy this book from Amazon.com.