A PROMISE TO REMEMBER
About the Book
Author Talk –– October 2007
Read an Excerpt
About the Book
Andie Phelps is the envy of Santa Barbara. A devoted mother with a loving son and a successful husband, her greatest joy comes from reaching out to others….
Melanie Johnston is the envy of no one. A single mom who works long hours to
pay the bills, and her greatest joys relate to her teen daughter and son.
Then the accident that changes everything. When opposite worlds collide, the impact reaches far beyond these mothersí personal losses.
Two wounded women… Two families seeking hope… A community torn apart… How far will they go to fulfill A PROMISE TO REMEMBER?
Back to top.
1. Which mother did you have the most empathy for at the beginning of the book? Did it change by the end and why?
2. Have you ever found yourself protecting your own interests rather than doing what you knew was right? Why is it so hard to do the right thing? What were the repercussions?
3. How did you feel about Christi Baur's "help" in sticking up for Andie? Was she being a good friend or an interfering one?
4. Grief can often devastate a marriage. Do you think Andie and Blair are on the right path? What do you think is most important for a marriage to survive a tragedy?
5. What do you think would have been the outcome if Melanie's case had gone to court? Should parents be held responsible for their child's negligence? Do you think that lawsuits do more good or harm in our country today?
6. What role does class play in our culture today? Have you ever seen an individual or family treated preferentially because of their status or encountered prejudice against a poorer individual?
7. What kind of comfort can you offer a person facing deep grief? Is it possible to offer the hope of eternal life, especially to a person who isnít sure what they believe?
8. What role did Andie's painting play in her recovery? What is your "outlet" in times of distress?
9. Ultimately, what would you have done had you been the mother of Jeff? How about Chad?
© Copyright 2017 by Kathryn Cushman. Reprinted with permission by Bethany House. All rights reserved.
Click here now to buy this book from Amazon.com.